What are the benefits of yoga?
Well, my answer to this question would be that the benefits of yoga are from head to toes.
These benefits are so much because yoga heals alomost each & every part of our body.
You trust me or not but the following benefits of yoga will reveal the truth.
And do you know?
Because of its benefits over 36 million people in the U.S.A regularly practice yoga and it is the most complementary health approach there.
And let me also tell you that there are over 52,000 registered yoga teachers and 18,000 yoga schools according to IDEA Health & Fitness Association.
So, after reading these facts..
Are you excited to know the Benefits of Yoga ?
If Yes, then, check this out.
1st Benefit Of Yoga: It Increases Flexibility
Do you know that regular yoga reduces chronic pains from injuries to arthritis Click to tweet
I mentioned this benefit at the top of my list because flexibility is the most common reason to start yoga.
2nd Benefit Of Yoga: It can lower your blood pressure.
How yoga can help you with blood pressure?
- Stress is the major cause of hypertension, with yoga or pranayama it can reduce cortisol level to a great extent. Thus, lower down the blood pressure.
- With different types of yoga poses, it helps you to gain flexibility and good blood circulation with soothing your nerves which helps down the abnormal heart rate.
- Obesity is also a major concern and it promotes hypertension. With yoga, you will not only lose weight but you will also get a better sleep which lowers the blood pressure.
In 2011, Evidence-based Complementary and alternative Medicine published research according to which Iyengar Yoga improves blood pressure.
You can view the full case study here
Have a look at them ↧↧
1. Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana)
2. Corpse Pose (Shavasana)
3. Dolphin Pose
3rd Benefit Of Yoga : Live a stress-free life with it.
Before going deep into the topic, let me tell you that stress kills your brain cells. That’s why brain cells stop growing when you’re adult and the only solution is a calm environment that can be achieved through yoga or meditation.
A bit easy right !!
Yes, do not think that you have to perform yoga for hours to reduce your anxiety or depression levels. People who do a little bit of yoga each day find it easy to handle things when life got crazy.
Yoga can benefit three of our aspects: mind, body, and breathing
And practicing it helps you build balance, focus, and calmness.
According to Harvard Health School, when 3 types of groups ( 12 Yoga practitioners, 14 People with Stress-related problems, 16 healthy volunteers) were subjected to more or less painful thumbnail pressure, the people suffering from stress experienced pain at lower pressure levels as compared to other groups.
This means that research had also proved that yoga is a great stress reliever.
1. Sukhasana ( Easy Pose)
4. How yoga can help us in our nervous system?
You know that the nervous system is the most crucial part of our body. Without it, you cannot even feel if you get burnt !!
Nervous System: Basics
We have two types of nervous systems: sympathetic nervous system and parasympathetic nervous system both are antagonistic means their functions are opposite to each other.
The sympathetic nervous system is responsible for fear, fight and flight (known as 3F) which is obviously common to function on a daily basis.
When this system is active, it releases adrenaline into the bloodstream, as a result, there will be high blood pressure, high metabolic activities, high breathing rates, etc.
All this happens to prepare yourselves for the 3F condition.
Whereas the other
When this system is active, it lowers blood pressure, metabolic rates, breathing activities, etc. Your body will be at peace and you will comfortable.
So, now you see they are antagonistic (enemies) to each other
Well, I went to the basics because I want you to know that yoga reinforces the parasympathetic nervous system to bring peace & calmness in your life.
And do you know?
what happens when you are dealing with your stressful job and busy lives?
Now, What to do?
You cannot ruin your life with stress.
So, here is the ultimate solution –
To reduce the level of cortisol you need to activate the parasympathetic nervous system and for that, you need a strong central nervous system. A strong nervous system balances and regulates the level of cortisol.
And you can have a strong nervous system with Yoga 🙂
And this also stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and as a result, it lowers the high production of cortisol.
You can also reduce stress by hanging out with friends, listening to peaceful music, doing meditation, etc.
Now, what asanas or breathing exercises should you do to strengthen your nervous system?
Well, it has been found that this breathing exercise reduces stress-
Anulom Vilom Pranayama helps in reducing the level of cortisol ( Stress Hormone) and it also has a soothing effect on the sympathetic nervous system.
You can follow this InfoChart for the Anulom VilomPranayama sequence.
Check it out:-
Here are the 3 Yoga Asanas which will assist you in getting a strong nervous system.
1. Ardha Matsyendrāsana
5th Benefit of Yoga: Reduces Blood Sugar Level
And about 1.4 million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed in the United States every year.
If you want to know the overall statistics then see this report.
But the good thing is that –
So, learn to live a stress-free life.
And you already know that yoga helps to live a stress-free life (discussed in the above points)
Have a look
How exactly yoga helps in diabetes?
It helps in the following ways:-
a) Engaging the muscles in physical activity –
Just like the other physical exercises(aerobics), it promotes the glucose uptake by muscles, as a result, it lowers the blood sugar level and also reduces the risk of heart diseases like strokes or cardiac arrest.
b) Weight loss:-
You already know from the above chart that obesity is the major cause of diabetes.
But yoga can assist you to reduce weight and to regulate it, both factors are vital for reducing the risk of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and type 2 diabetes.
c) Yoga helps to restore the pancreatic cells –
6th Benefit of Yoga: Relieves Backpain
For most for your life, you don’t pay attention to your spinal muscles.
But they also need your care and attention.
For God’s sake, the back pain is temporary but when it happens it disturbs the daily schedule of life.
Well, yoga can help us because it has a direct effect on both the abdominal muscle and the back muscles and these muscles support us in gaining the right posture and movement.
7th Benefit of Yoga : Increases your lung capacity
Do you know?
Not all your air cells of the lungs take an active part in the breathing process.
This has a huge impact on health
For an energetic body, you definitely require strong lungs
And the good news – “
” According to a press release by the American College of Chest Physicians, they found that after performing yoga for 12 weeks, it cures shortness of breath, lung function, and inflammation,”
Well, the question is –
How yoga improves lung condition?
Here are some points that show the impact of yoga:-
- It increases the activeness of air cells because it involves thoracic, abdominal & clavicular breathing.
- Standing yoga poses helps to strengthen the muscles of the back to keep it straight. Thus, it increases the lung capacity to inhale more oxygen.
- Yoga postures (like trikonasana) & pranayama (likekapalabhati) both are highly beneficial to the lungs as they increase the activity and elasticity of the lungs.
- Longer breaths could clean your nasal passages and is assist people with allergies.
- As yoga reduces stress levels, as a result, it pacifies our nervous system which positively affects the respiratory system.
- It widens the pelvis by extending the pelvic ligaments.
According to the chestnet.org, ” An estimated 24 million Americans may have COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), which includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both.
Patients with COPD have trouble pushing used air out of their lungs, making it difficult to take in healthy new air. “
8th Benefit of Yoga: Get rid of Inflammation
Before going any deeper in to this particular topic, let us see its particular defination given by webMD:-
“Inflammation is a process by which the body’s white blood cells and substances they produce protect us from infection with foreign organisms, such as bacteria and viruses.”
This defination is given becuase you need to know the basics to understand better.
And also there are two types of inflammation and we prefer yoga to cure the second one.
|1) Acute inflammation occurs for a short period and responses to an injured area by swelling. This gives a signal to the immune system to heal the particular area by sending white blood cells.||2) Chronic inflammation happens when the body is in a continuous state of stress probably because of food habits, lifestyle or because of an autoimmune disorder (a situation in which the immune system attacks the healthy cells).|
The answer is that Chronic inflammation is dangerous and can cause everlasting damage if left unoticed or untreated.
Stress, high inflammatory foods like unstable oil, sugar, over-workout, high insulin levels, overweight all helps in increasing inflammation.
How yoga slow down the harmul effect of chronic inflammation?
- First of all, this is very common yoga naturally relieves stress by reducing the cortisol levels ( This stress is major problem of our life, so get rid of it first !)
- According to some studies, it stimulates the production of “Adiponectin hormone” which is anti-inflammatory in function. As a result, it reduces Inflammation.
- And it also help the body to detox, it aids in digestion, and it also promotes healthy lifestyle which as a result reduces Inflammation.
What yoga poses to do ?
1. Child’s Pose
2. Triangle Pose
9th Benefit of Yoga: Builds up Self-Confidence & Inner Strength.
I have great faith in fools – self-confidence my friends will call it. –
How yoga builds up self-conifidence?
Well, what happens when someone starts to care about you?
You feel more confident to talk to them, to share your feeling with them, etc.
Just like that when we do yoga, it sends a postive note to our mind & soul that we care about ourselves. Thus, it builds up confidence.
And even when you do yoga in a group or you go to a yoga class, it itself boost our confidence and our self-esteem. For example:- when you are in group, you talk to different people, you learn from them, etc. As a result it builds up confidence.
Well, yoga can also boost up your confidence or inner strength through the following :-
- It stimulates relaxation in our body
- The breathing exercises are meant you to focus on your breath and as result it promotes self-awareness.
- When we perform yoga, it builds up our physical strength and later on, after some experience, we try to perform more challenging poses as a result we feel stronger on the inside.
- It also helps you to learn self- calmness and the ability to remain calm helps you to restore self-confidence.
“And when we love our body, it helps to gain confidence with our own-self.”
10th Benefit of Yoga: It can make you smart !!
Practicing brief sessions of Hatha yoga and mindfulness meditation can significantly improve brain function and energy levels, according to a new study from the University of Waterloo.
Another study conducted by-
Journal of Physical Activity & Health also says that 20 minutes of yoga makes your brain more effective and helps to quickly process information.
After seeing these research paper, I would personally suggest that, if you are a student, consider performing yoga for a few minutes. That will really help you stay sharp and focused.
Big Toe Pose (Padangusthasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
11th Benefit of Yoga: It Improves the Sexual Health
First, let me prove it by showing you the case stuty
According to a study publised in Journal of Sexual Medicine, regular yoga practice improves several aspects of sexual function in women, including desire, arousal, orgasm, and overall satisfaction.
Apart from the case study, Lauren Zoeller, a certified yoga instructor and Whole Living Life Coach based in Nashville, Tennessee says “Sex and yoga both benefit your physical, mental and emotional state. Learn to practice them regularly for access to feeling your absolute best!”
According to Lauren Zoeller, yoga helps you to listen to your body and also it increases awareness.
And the more you’re present with your partner, the better experience will be.
So, let us make it simple and break in points on
“How yoga can improve your sex life ? “
It reduces your stress levels( again, huh! ) by lowering down your cortisol levels thus increasing sexual desire and making your sex life more awesome.
It increases the flexibility.
It helps you to build self-esteem and healthy body
- It increases blood circulation to our pelvic region, making it more alive !
Well, now you know the impact of yoga on libido.
Then, watch this video to create that impact through yoga.
- Liver is the second biggest organ( about size of a football) after skin, which means it has lot of jobs to do.
Your brain depends upon your liver for better functioning, as it is the major regulator of plasma glucose & ammino levels. As a result, if our liver get’s out of control if can result in coma.
It helps to keep the toxins and carcinogens away from the bloodstream otherwise they will recirculate in bloodflow ( if liver is not functioning well )
How yoga can keep liver healthy?
Yoga exercises helps in liver stimulation, as a result it cures various liver-related problems.
Poses like ” Ardha Matsyendrasana ” exert pressure on liver which helps the liver to gain strength and also supports it to recover from inflammation, stress, and apoptosis.
Dhanurasana yoga poses asists the body to get rid of fatty liver and to convert that fat into energy source
- Yoga also supports circulation of oxygen & blood through liver, thus getting rid of fat, infectious bacteria and toxins from liver.
Well, are you interested to see the impact of yoga on your liver by yourself?
If yes, then read below the 3 yoga asanas to detoxify & strengthen your liver
1) Ardha Matsyendrasana
This yoga posture is known for its benefits for the liver. The posture helps to stimulate and strengthen the liver by exerting pressure on it.
Now, press the left leg slowly against your abdomen and turn your head to the right side at the same time.
2) Kapalbhati Pranayama
For this yoga posture, sit cross-legged on the yoga mat with closed eyes and spine straight.
Now, inhale deeply and exhale out forcefully through both nostrils.
Repeat this procedure for at least 5 minutes daily.This exercise prevents various liver diseases like jaundice, hepatitis, and cirrhosis, etc
3) Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
This yoga posture is very beneficial for people suffering from fatty liver and it also massages the liver, which helps in proper digestion.
For this yoga pose lie on your stomach and then hold your both feet with your hands. After, this pull your both feet slowly and gently and look straight start feeling your breath.
After 10-20 seconds bring your legs and chest slowly to the ground and calm down.
13th Benefits of Yoga : It prevents & cure thyroid
According to Barkatullah University( Bhopal) , yoga is effective in treating & preventing hypothyroid disorder.
In this study, 20 female patients suffering from hypothyroid disorder were subjected to one hour yoga session for a period of one month.
And here is conclusion taken from the article –
It can be concluded that yoga is valuable in helping the hypothyroid patients to manage their disease-related symptoms. Yoga may be considered as supportive or complementary therapy in conjunction with medical therapy for the treatment of hypothyroid disorder.
This means it is practically proven fact that yoga if taken as complementry theraphy can make the medical theraphy more effective.
- low energy,
- incapability to tolerate cold,
- dry skin,
- and there might swell of throat, which is also known as goiter.
The above smptoms are common except the last one.
Yoga cannot completely eradicate the thyroid imbalance and you must consider yoga as a complementary therapy.
How yoga will help in thyroid problems?
- Ans:) Yoga can prevent and cure thyroid problems in following ways:-
A lifestyle with full of stress is the major contributor to the thyroid disease but giving oneself in yoga can manage stress to a great extent.
- It can help with fatigue & muscle pain if you are already suffering with thyriodrelates
- Pranayama and asanas influence relaxation and reduce stress.
- Yoga poses which are related to throat stimulating improves circulation of blood and flow of energy around the thyroid which results in stretch and strengthen of neck.
Yoga postures for your thyroid
The following yoga postures will strengthen your thyroid.
Keep in Mind :-
Do not perform all the yoga asanas at once and modify any of the following poses according to your body comfort.
Be kind & gentle to your body.
Sarvangasana (The Shoulder Stand)
Note :- Before performing this yoga pose, warm up yourself by performing Tadasana or lower back exercises as we suggest relieving any spinal pain before performing this yoga asana.
Step-by-Step instruction to get into this pose-
2) Lie down with your arms close to your body and your palms facing down.
7) Raise your legs straight up towards the ceiling.
8) Try to keep your body in a straight line as possible.
9) Hold the pose up to 10 seconds and breath normally
10) Release the asana by taking your legs back over your head
13) Lie down in corpse pose and rest. Don’t get up immediately.
Fish Pose (Matsya)
1) Lie on your back with your legs and arms extended out
2) Lift your pelvis slightly above the floor and slide your arms underneath your hips with your palms down
6) Hold here up to 10-15 seconds and balance gently on your elbows and the crown of your head
7) Gently release the pose by sliding your head back
8) Release your arms from beneath
9) Now, relax by coming into corpse pose ( savanasana)
10) Stretch out your body and relax until your breath comes to normal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here, are the 13 benefits of yoga –
1. It Increases Flexibility
2. It can lower your blood pressure
3. Live a stress-free life with it.
4. It can calm your nervous system
5. It reduces blood sugar level
6. Relieves back pain
7. Increases your lung capacity
8. Helps in getting rid of Inflammation
9. Builds up Self-Confidence & Inner Strength.
10. It can make you smart by making your brain more efficient
11. It improves the Sexual Health
12. It detoxifies your liver
13. It prevents & cures thyroid
According to the case study conducted by the International Journal Of Yoga.
It was found that after doing yoga for 10 weeks there were 1.8 inches increase in Sit reach, 1.0 inches increase in Shoulder flexibility and 4 seconds increase in Stork Stand.
Thus, yoga increases flexibility.
Yes, yoga can cure high blood pressure by reducing stress levels because stress is the major cause of hypertension, with yoga or pranayama it can reduce cortisol level to a great extent.
Thus, lower down the blood pressure.
See more in the article!
Yoga can calm down our nervous system by activating our parasympathetic nervous system which in turn regulates our cortisol levels, as a result, it pacifies our nervous system.
Yoga helps in diabetes by
1) Engaging the muscles in physical activity thus promoting glucose consumption
2) Weight loss because obesity is the major cause of diabetes
3) Restoring the pancreatic cells because yoga poses stretch the pancreatic area
Yoga improves spinal flexibility and poses like knee tuck, seated twist, etc stretches your body which in turn reduces back pain.
Well, yoga can help with breathing by
1) Increases the activeness of air cells because it involves thoracic, abdominal & clavicular breathing.
2) Strengthening the muscles of the back to keep it straight as a result it increases the lung capacity to inhale more oxygen.
3) Longer inhalation in pranayama can clean your nasal passages thus assist people with breathing.